Branded ”W. Cox” Fan Back Windsor Side Chair



Philadelphia, circa 1780’s. A sturdy, fan back Windsor side chair, branded “W. Cox.“ Philadelphia Quaker William Cox owned a shop on Second Street in Philadelphia from 1768—1811. His clients included Stephen Girard, General John Cadwalader, and General Henry Knox (a member of Washington’s cabinet.)

This fan back Windsor side chair features a dramatic poplar shield shape pommel seat, turned and tapered maple legs, turned H-brace stretcher, seven oak spindles, turned oak posts, steam bent oak crest rail, and an incised gutter along the back of the seat. It is in very fine condition with an old repair to the crest rail. Although the chair does not retain paint, traces of original red paint remain on the seat bottom.



Dealer Noonmark Antiques
Date: circa 1780's
Origin Philadelphia
Artist/Maker William Cox
Measurements Height- 37 ¾” Seat Width 18” Seat Height 19 ¾”
Inventory View Dealer's Inventory
Website http://www.noonmarkantiques.com
Price SOLD
Contact Lisa & Charlie Hammell, 856-234-8344 or 609-313-8275 or  info@NoonmarkAntiques.com

Stay up to date with our ADA newsletter.


[ Generation time: 0.033 s - 86% PHP, 14% DB ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP compression enabled ]   [ Server Load: 2.89 ]