The jug is painted in colourful enamels with a courting couple in a tree-filled landscape, a church to one side with a weathercock on its tall spire, and a smaller building to the other side. The gentleman wearing knee breeches, stockings and a waistcoat beneath a full-skirted coat, holds in his hand a tricorn hat. The lady, wearing a pendant cross necklace and clasping in her hands a fan, wears a hoop skirt, chemise and bodice. Either side of the pinched pouring lip is painted a single flower.
Beneath the rim and outlining the pouring lip is a border of black scrolls on a green ground, lined in magenta. The border inside the rim is of black diapered trelliswork, with the same colours as before. The moulded strap handle is painted with a foliate design in iron-red.
A number of Staffordshire potters of the early Eighteenth Century experimented with earthenware bodies in an attempt to replicate the lightness and fragility of porcelain. By the 1740s, this salt glazed stoneware body could be slip-cast moulded with great precision and was sufficiently hard and strong for use.
Reference: A Collector's History of English Pottery, Griselda Lewis (Antique Collectors' Club, 1987).
Early Staffordshire Pottery, Bernard Rackham (Faber and Faber, 1951)
|Dealer||Earle D. Vandekar of Knightsbridge, Inc.|
|Measurements||6 1/2 inches high|
|Inventory||View Dealer's Inventory|
|Contact||Paul Vandekar, 212-308-2022 or firstname.lastname@example.org|