Chinese Export European-subject Saucer Dish For Mexican Market,
King Charles IV of Spain Accession Commemoration Service,
The extremely rare Chinese Export Mexican-market saucer or saucer dish has a blue enamel & gold star border on the rim and a further blue enamel and gold husk chain band to the top of the inner well. The centre is painted with a central portrait bust of King Charles IV flanked by two "Roman solders" or marshals holding up the bust, one interestingly with a beard, all on a wall pedestal below a crown and with the date 1791 below in gold enclosed within a gold and red circular border.
Arranged around the edge of the circle is the following two lines of text: Progla Mado En La Ciudad De Valladolid De Michoacan/ Por Su Alferez R O Jose Bernardo
David Howard & John Ayers, China For The West, on page 457, plate #464, illustrates a dish from the same service from an article by SuzanneS. Mottahedeh, titled "Numismatic sources of Chinese export porcelain decorations", The Connoisseur, October 1969. The illustration on this dish is from the reverse of a proclamation medal by Geronimo Antonio Gil struck in 1791. The inscription reads Proclaimed in the City of Vallodolid of Michacan by Alfrerez R. D. Jose Bernado Foncerrada.
Jerónimo Antonio Gil (Spanish, Zamora 17311798 Mexico) struck at least six medals in Mexico between 1789 and 1791 to commemorate the accession of King Charles IV to the throne of Mexico.
Morelia (Spanish pronunciation: [mo'?elja]; from 1545 to 1828 known as Valladolid is a city and municipality in the north-central part of the state of Michoacán in central Mexico. The city is in the Guayangareo Valley and is the capital and largest city of the state.
The main pre-Hispanic cultures here were the Purépecha and the Matlatzinca, but no major cities were founded in the valley during this time. The Spanish took control of the area in the 1520s. The Spanish under Viceroy Antonio de Mendoza founded a settlement here in 1541 with the name of Valladolid, which became rival to the nearby city of Pátzcuaro for dominance in Michoacán. In 1580, this rivalry ended in Valladolid's favor and it became the capital of the colonial province. After the Mexican War of Independence, the city was renamed Morelia in honor of José María Morelos, who hailed from the city. In 1991, the city was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its well-preserved colonial buildings and layout of the historic center.
|Dealer||Earle D. Vandekar of Knightsbridge, Inc.|
|Inventory||View Dealer's Inventory|
|Contact||Paul Vandekar, 212-308-2022 or firstname.lastname@example.org|